Monday, July 11, 2016

American Woman’s Bible - A Review




American Woman’s Bible


by

Dr. Richard G. Lee

A Review

I have stumbled upon other Bibles using American history as the source notes, devotional thoughts, or commentary. However, I found this edition to be of greater value that those that have crossed my path in the past.

The notes focus on the role that Christian Women have played in American history and how their lives have exemplified the role Christ, Scripture, and the church has had in preparing them for those roles. This is accomplished by including biographical sketches, quotations that have shaped others by or about American women, and a series of essays focusing on the virtues that have shaped our nation and the women who have been a part of that history.

My biggest disappointment is that the publisher chose to name only one male author of the book: Dr. Richard G. Lee. I suspect, like most Study Bibles and Devotional Bibles, the work was a collaboration of many scholars and spiritual leaders - but they are totally unnamed, either in a list of contributors or as the authors of individual pieces of writing. It would seem, to this reviewer, that if we have a Bible focused on the contributions of women to history, its contents should in some way be guided by women. I do not know where the error was made - in not giving credit for the women’s contribution or in not allowing women to contribute - but it seems that an error was made.

Having said that, this Bible edition does have value - just less than it might. The collection of biographies and quotes might help a pastor in preparation for next Sunday’s message. The devotional thoughts could easily be used by a teen or adult Sunday School teacher or Bible Study leader in preparation for next weeks lesson. My copy will sit on a night stand for my wife and I use with our personal devotions. I do expect that others will find it a blessing.
______________
This review is based on a free copy provided by the publisher for the purpose of creating this review.  The opinions expressed are my own.

No comments: