Wednesday, December 23, 2015

First Hostage - A Review





First Hostage - 2.jpg



A Review


Well written, but not my type of book. As I picked this book for review, I expected it to focus on the dangers faced by the President (and/or his family) after being kidnapped. Rather, it focused on the US armed forces and their allies process of locating and rescuing the kidnapped President.  


The story held my interest, but I felt myself being drawn to the book because I had to review it, instead of its ability to hold my interest. The main character is a trusted (well, almost, anyhow) reporter with the New York Times and his attempt to cover the story of the century. J. B. Collins comes from a believing family, but he cannot find his way to his own faith. Though the story seems to draw him closer to his family’s God, it is not clear to what extent he yet believes for himself.


Both the military focus and the lack of faith from any central character left me wanting more from the book. I realize that this is a personal opinion - I have friends who would thoroughly enjoy the military background of the plot. Without a strong, faithful, character to bring a lively spiritual dimension to the story, I felt ill at ease. Certainly, the author did try to bring a bit of history (past, present, and future) into the story as we explore the various Middle Eastern  locations used to bring life to the book. I do need to give the author credit for writing a book that occasionally drove to the Internet for more details, if not to my Bible. There are some who will thrive with this book’s characters, plot, and themes. I did not.
______________

This review is based on a free electronic copy provided by the publisher for the purpose of creating this review.  The opinions expressed are my own.

No comments: