Wednesday, July 30, 2014

Bones Never Lie - A Review









A Review

I suppose there is a first for everything. For me, this was my first Temperance Brennan novel. For Temperance Brennan, it was a serial killer that could not decide whether home was in Montreal, Vermont, or North Carolina. Bones Never Lie would serve as a first for both of us.


Temperance Brennan had crossed my path before – but it was like in another lifetime. The TV show Bones, like many have noted, has little connection to the main character of the books, other than sharing the main character's name and occupation. Regardless, I was not disappointed. The book was a thriller with just a hint of romance. What it did lack, sadly, was the humor that has become a part of the Bones TV show.


Temperance soon discovers that there is a connection between the young teen girls deaths in Montreal, Vermont, and North Carolina. What is not clear is the nature of the crime – is there a single suspect or a pair, working together; how does a body found in a barrel of maple syrup connect to the other crimes; how did the pedophile located near the center of many of the death connect to them all? Yep, Brennan was faced with questions that left her feeling unsettled.


Suspense, crime drama, thriller, quirky characters (some stable, some not so) all contribute to a weeks worth of good reading. Could I laugh as I read – hardly. But I could sit back and relax and try to be an amateur detective and see through the clues before Temperance Brennan and her friends did the same. Didn't do that well either, but I did have fun trying.
______________
This review is based on a free electronic copy provided by the publisher for the purpose of creating this review.  The opinions expressed are my own.


No comments: