Tuesday, May 15, 2012



by
Scott MacIntyre

A Review


I am not a fan of American Idol, I am not a fan of Scott MacIntyre, and I am not a fan of pop music.  So why did I pick up this autobiographical memoir written by a top-10 finalist of the popular TV show American Idol?  Let me suggest three reasons I was drawn to this book:



  1. I have two dear blind friends, like Scott MacIntyre, whom I have known for almost 40 years.
  2. I, like Scott MacIntyre and my two friends, am a Christian.  
  3. I enjoy the real life story of someone who has overcome adversity.

I was not disappointed.  In the course of nearly 300 pages, Scott overcomes three distinct obstacles - kidney failure, the American Idol competition, and the love of a woman.  Scott did a good job of writing an interesting tale that even kept the interest of one that knew very little about him or his circumstances.  

In the midst of his story, it is clear that faith plays a very vital part.  He did not always understand what God was doing.  This was especially true as he spent ten months on dialysis unsure about his musical future.  But much of that uncertainty came together as he moved through the various auditions that preceded the live American Idol shows in the late spring of 2009.  But even in the midst of his success, he was mystified as to why the one girl he had his eyes on had removed his name from the top of her MySpace friends.  And that was one question he never had answered.  

Now, having read By Faith Not By Sight, though I am still not a fan of his music, I have become a fan of Scott MacIntyre.  I am grateful for the opportunity to have walked with him and see how God has worked in the life.  Perhaps you will be too.
______________
This review is based on a free electronic copy provided by the publisher for the purpose of creating this review.  The opinions expressed are mine alone.  

No comments: