Wednesday, December 29, 2010

Being in the Presence of Jesus

As John begins his letter, he shares that what he is discussing is not merely theology. It comes from his life experiences. It represents what he has heard, seen, and touched. It represents his life – not his intellectual knowledge.


John uses words that each go beyond the simple use of our senses. He uses words that indicate that the “seeing” is not just watching from the sidelines, but understanding and experiencing Jesus in ways that go beyond the simple act of watching Him. To hear is to understand. To touch is to find out its texture, to discover what it is made of – to get to its core. What John is left with is not just head knowledge, but a life changing interaction with the Lord of Lords, the King of Kings, the creator, God Almighty.


What about my preaching? Am I merely trying to share what is in my head or am I willing to share the life that God has allowed me to experience with Him. If all I share is merely head knowledge, then I may as well be only a member of the crowds that followed Jesus – a spectator. May I share what I have experienced – what I have seen, heard, and understood. May I share, not from my head, but from my heart – a heart touched by the Lord of Lords, the King of Kings, the creator, God Almighty.

No comments: